Bronze level since 2014 from the EcoLeader Program
Due to environmental impacts, multiple studies have outlined the need for sustainability within hospitality sector. Waste and water bills account for between 15-20% of operation costs of hotels and approximately 1.8 kg of waste is generated per guest room night.
The GreenLeaders Program was created by TripAdvisor in 2012. It recognizes hotels and B&Bs that engage in environmentally friendly practices, making it easier for travelers to find and book a greener stay. Qualifying properties are marked with a badge.
This program was developed with help from national and international green industry experts including the US Green Building Council’s LEED Certification Program, the United Nations Environment Program, the US Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR program, and other sustainability experts.
All participating hotels and B&Bs must meet a minimum set of requirements to be included in the program and attain the level of GreenPartner:
- Having linen and towel re-use plans
- Tracking energy usage on a regular basis
- Using energy efficient light-bulbs
- Educating staff and guests on green practices
- Properly treat waste water (either using an on-site or municipal sewage system)
GreenLeader Bronze: Le Royal Champêtre meets minimum requirements and achieves a 30% score on the Green Practices survey.
Furthermore, Le Royal Champêtre has chosen suppliers who have Green practices and products :
- Produits sanitaires Lépine Inc. (cleaning products Phosphate free : laundry, shower gel, liquid soap for dishwasher, kleenex tissu and toilet paper from recycled paper, recycled plastic bags)
- Window cleaning plan by Vuklair which uses simply water that is treated with various filtration processes making it pure water and free of all mineral particles
- Thermopomp to produce central heat and air conditioned by Miville Solutions climat confort.
- Double glasing by Solaris Québec Inc. Portes & Fenêtres, allowing to absorb natural light heat and better protect the house of the winter cold
Others steps have been put to use by the B&B :
- Better control of food wast by preparing breakfast menu according to number of guests instead of serving buffet.
- Buying local food directly to farmers.
- Using linen napking instead of paper ones
- Installing shower gel distributers instead of using plastic bottles
- Using Energy Star households
‘Greening’ is understood to mean increasing overall environmental performance by reducing waste, water and energy. Additionally, we know that you are interested in green hotels.
Additionally a study done by Mensah and Mensah (2013), found that the majority of consumers surveyed was more likely to book with a hotel that has a responsible environmental attitude.
The main objective of changing our practices is to encourage us all by saving energy, saving our waste and have a better impact in our day-to-day lives for a better environment.